In Washington DC, the requirements to get a marriage license are as follows;
• It is a general rule in Washington DC like in other states that both parties should apply in person. But depending on some situations, exceptions may be granted.
• The County Marriage License Bureau issues the license.
• Both applicants should be 18 years old to get a marriage license. If they get their parental or guardian approval, then they only need to be 16 years old to get a marriage license. However, the parental or guardian approval given in person will be accepted only. Still, on some situations, exceptions will be given.
• Proof of Dissolution must be produced before the concerned authority if either party has been married before.
• Both parties should pass the medical exam for venereal disease.
• The applicants should wait for 3 days to get their marriage license.
• There is no validity period for the unsigned license and it is valid throughout the district.
• The required fee to get a marriage license is $35.00.